Psychiatry final exam experience

Yesterday, I had my Psychiatry final exam.

The day before the exam I got an email that the exam would start at 7:30 am. There were just three of us. I was the last to arrive so the other two students went before me. 

When I had the rotation back in January, I had written two patient case reports. The exam began with the professor asking me to tell him the diagnoses of each patient. One was depression, and the other was bulimia nervosa. He asked me to explain the bulimia case, which I did. 

Then started asking the usual rapid-fire questions, beginning with questions related to eating disorders, before turning to other questions. Some of the questions I remember from my exam are:

  • What is Russell sign?
  • What is orthorexia nervosa?
  • What are the two types of anorexia nervosa?
  • What is PTSD and it's symptoms? 
  • What is Prader-Willi syndrome and the symptoms?
  • What is the sister disease of Prader-Willi syndrome?
  • What is trichotillomania?
  • What is Lamotrigine, what is it used for in Psychiatry and what is a possible side effect? 
  • What is Stevens-Johnson syndrome? How can we prevent it? 
  • What is the range of IQ in moderate mental retardation?
  • Tell me about the different clusters of personality disorders. 
  • What is akathesia?
  • What is Asperger’s?
  • What are the symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorder? 
  • How can we evaluate orientation?

In the end, got 5 and the exam was only about 10 minutes long.

Comments

Popular Posts