One last rotation

Today I began my eighth and final rotation as a sixth-year medical student. I can't believe I just said that. This all seems so surreal. It feels like just yesterday I was starting my first practice in Emergency Medicine. 

So, one last rotation...what could it be?

Well, I have done Emergency Medicine, Paediatrics, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Surgery & Traumatology, Internal Medicine, Psychiatry, Neurology...what's missing? If you've read my other blogs, you know the winner is...Family Medicine. 

Standing outside the clinic (Gyermekorvosi Rendelő Vedőnői Rendelő).


For this rotation, I am working at a clinic in Pécs with Dr Gregus Judit. By profession she is a Pediatrician. The required duration of this practice is two weeks. I hope my time with her will give me a glimpse into the life of a family doctor, and be a refresher for my Paediatrics final exam which I will have in a few weeks.

The clinic she works at isn't big. It's just her, her assistant/medical scribe, and me. 

We saw your typical Paediatric cases of fever, cough, wheezing, vomiting and diarrhoea. There was a case of Chickenpox, which is quite uncommon these days due to mandatory childhood vaccination programs. In between the appointments, there were many phone calls. Some worried parents sought advice on what to do for their sick kids, while others wanted to make an appointment to come in later in the week.

Two takeaways from today:

1. I am fascinated by the efficiency of the electronic medical record (EMR) system. There is one system used by all the different clinics - meaning all the patients' files are in one place and can be accessed by any doctor in Hungary. From this system, prescriptions are sent directly to the pharmacy and patients can then visit any pharmacy of their choice to collect their medications. 

2. Excessive yawning can be a sign of epilepsy. 

Comments

Popular Posts