Halfway mark - Free Friday

When I signed up for this rotation, I received an information packet that explained all the possible things to do at UCL Queen Square Institute of Neurology during my elective. A snippet reads, "In a typical week, you can expect to have approximately 8-10 hours of activities on the ward, with the rest of the time taken up with attending out-patient clinics, clinical meetings, and lectures.

On Mondays, I receive the weekly teaching schedule via email and I make a timetable for the week. I decide what sessions I would like to attend and then, fill in the remaining slots with time on the ward, bedside teaching, and outpatient clinics. Using the online booking platform, I can sign up for a maximum of three outpatient clinics per week in different subspecialties. This week I chose Neuro-ophthalmology, General Neurology, and Movement Disorders, but there are other options like Multiple Sclerosis, Sleeping disorders, Epilepsy, Neuroendocrine, Neurooncology, Neurogenetics, Neurosurgery, Vestibular Neurology, Intracranial Haemorrhage, Stroke etc.

The plan for today was to attend the Movement Disorders Outpatient Clinic in the morning and after lunch, I would check out the ward. When I got to the hospital, I was informed the clinic for today had been cancelled. Outside Storm Eunice was brewing.  I had a free day and decided to head home for shelter. While walking to the London Underground, I nearly got blown away. Most people had been told to remain at home and this was evident by the empty tube ride home. 

This is very unusual, every day that I have taken the tube it has been overcrowded and jam-packed. 

Since I have gotten home, it's been raining on and off but the strong gusts of winds are constant. Typical UK weather, but on steroids. I am glad to be safe and sound inside and will be staying put until the storm passes. 

I am at the halfway mark of my rotation and hoping for better weather next week.

Comments

Popular Posts