What's up with all the studying?

I realise I haven't explained too much about all the studying I have been doing recently. 

Some time ago, I mentioned that my medical school requires final year students to complete eight rotations. They include Emergency Medicine, Family Medicine, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Surgery & Traumatology, Paediatrics, Internal Medicine, Psychiatry, and Neurology. For both Emergency Medicine and Family Medicine rotations, the supervising doctor is meant to evaluate my performance during the practice and determine my grade for the courses. In all the others, my grade is determined by a theoretical and physical examination, which I can schedule at any time during the academic year once I have completed the rotation. 

As you know, till now, I have completed my Emergency Medicine rotation in Hungary, Paediatrics rotation in Malta, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Surgery & Traumatology, and Internal Medicine rotations in Belgium, and most recently, Psychiatry in Hungary. 

Most final year students recommend taking an exam right after finishing the rotation while the subject is still fresh in your mind. And typically, most do. Unfortunately, for me, that wasn't possible. One of the requirements of the Erasmus+ mobility was that my rotations had to be completed over subsequent weeks without any gaps or holidays. Because of this, I have now completed six rotations but have not attempted any of my exams. At the moment,I have five exams that I can take, and this is why when I returned to Hungary the first thing I did was make a study schedule and plan for my exams.

Each rotational year course includes the time of the hospital practice and an additional week or two as study time. This gives students some free time during the academic year to complete their exams. The free time adds up to 11 weeks. Back when I was planning my sixth year, I knew I wouldn't have time in between my rotations to travel back to Hungary for exams. Also, with the constant changes in COVID travel restrictions, I didn't want to risk getting stuck in Hungary, unable to return to my rotation abroad. I scheduled my rotations so that the majority of these weeks would be towards the end of the academic year, when I would be done with all my rotations and could just focus on the exams. Basically, I created an exam period for myself. 

This weekend I am heading to London, England, to complete my Neurology internship at UCL Queen Square Institute of Neurology. Before I leave, I may take one exam. I started studying about eight days ago. After being out in the field, working at the hospital the last few months, I am a bit out of practice. I am slowly adjusting to spending the whole day sitting at my desk studying. I hope I will be ready for my exams.

My desk all set up for studying.

My academic year ends on May 13. By this time, I must have submitted and defended my thesis, completed all eight rotations, and passed all six examinations to be eligible to sit the Final Closing Exam before graduation. With my current exam plan and study schedule, I should be done before that deadline. Fingers crossed. I'll be sure to keep you all up to date on my progress.

Comments

Popular Posts