New habits

This morning I woke up bright and early at 5 am. I thought, “why not get the day started with a workout.” I grabbed my laptop and played a follow along workout video that I found on YouTube. 

It said it was for beginners, but that was a lie or maybe I’m just that out of shape. When the video finished, sweat was pouring down my face. I did some stretches to cool down and laid on the floor for a few minutes to catch my breath. Once my breathing rate was normal again, I decided to have some tea and plain greek yogurt with blueberries for breakfast. Then I took my time to get ready. I packed my lunch, a protein shake, and my water bottle. 

I decided about 2 weeks ago that I needed to start eating healthier and smarter. My clothes were tighter and I had this bloated feeling all the time. I found myself ordering delivery several times a week because when I got home from the hospital I was just too tired and lazy to cook. I was giving in to every craving and putting pure junk into my body. As a medical student, I know all too well how important it is to eat foods rich in vitamins, minerals, and fibers.

One day last week, I saw the nurses had left the scale they used to weigh the patients in the hallway. I stepped on it and I was not pleased. My poor eating habits over the last 4 months resulted in me gaining 8kg. Those numbers on the scale were all I needed to kick me in gear. I knew it was time to make a change and I started by deleting all the food delivery apps from my phone that day. I increased my daily water intake and added more fruits and vegetables to my diet.

Yesterday, I began a challenge. A goal I have for 2022 is to start working out at least 3-4 times a week. I have never been the athletic type. I love how energized I feel after a good workout, but I never stick to a routine. This time is going to be different. Only positive vibes. Exercise is also a great way to release stress and I have lots of that. So it’s a new habit I really want to follow through on.

People often ask me how do you find the time to do everything you do? My response is always the same, “we find time for the things we really want to do.”

I am here to tell you, if I can do it, you can do it too. Is there something you keep on saying you want to start doing, but you never do? Whatever it is, get up and do it! Stop making excuses and start today. 

What are some of your new habits for 2022? I’d love to hear from you, so drop a comment below ↓

Comments

Popular Posts