Erasmus - what is it? And how to apply?

I keep saying, "I am on an Erasmus in Belgium," but what does that mean...

What is Erasmus?

Erasmus+ is a program of the European Union to support and promote education, training, youth, and sports in Europe. The Erasmus+ program allows students studying at higher education institutions in program countries to participate in study exchanges at other higher education institutions within Europe. The program also provides the possibility of traineeships (work placements, internships, etc.) for students and recent graduates of higher education institutions in program countries.

How to apply?

From the moment I knew it was possible to do my rotational year abroad, I began to plan for it. Not because I didn't love my new home in Hungary, but because completing my rotations in any English-speaking country would provide me the opportunity to speak my own language. 

Initially, I had hoped to do most of my rotations in the UK since I plan to work there after graduation, but with the COVID-19 pandemic, UK hospitals weren't accepting students from abroad. My plans had to adapt, and I began looking at other countries. 

When I saw the application call for the Erasmus+ final year clinical traineeship as a 4th-year medical student, I immediately knew I would apply. At this point, having lived and schooled in 4 different countries, I was eager to explore more of the world and learn as much as possible in as many different settings. I attended the information session and gathered as much information as possible that I could be well prepared the following year to apply. 

The University of Pécs has partnerships with over 30 universities across Europe, but the possibilities for traineeships in English are limited. After researching all the partners, the Catholic University of Leuven (KU Leuven) in Belgium stood out. I selected it as my first choice because it is the highest-ranked university in Belgium and is home to the well-renowned hospital, University Hospitals Leuven (UZ Leuven). Similar to the University of Pécs, it is an old university and was founded in 1425. Being an island girl, I knew it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to gain hands-on experience at such a prestigious institution.

The application deadline was at the beginning of March of my 5th-year. I had been getting my paperwork together for this for several months. By mid-February, I had everything ready and submitted. The submission included: 

  • application form,
  • motivational letter,
  • CV,
  • certificates of my extracurricular activities (such as Vice President-English Program of the English-German Student Council (EGSC), Vice President of the Erasmus Student Network (ESN) Pécs, and International Student Ambassador of the University of Pécs)
  • certificate of student research, 
  • and copies of awards.

Applications are typically through the international office or Erasmus+ office at your higher education institution. For me, this was the University of Pécs Medical School Office of International Relations and Erasmus Programme. Completing your final year rotations through the Erasmus+ program at hospitals/clinics that do not already have a contractual agreement with your home institution is also possible. In this case, you need to contact the hospitals/clinics on your own. I am not sure how it works at other universities, but there is no application deadline for this at the University of Pécs Medical School. Your documentation can be submitted all year round, and at least three months before your planned start date.

By the end of March, I knew my fate. I was one of two lucky students from the University of Pécs awarded the Erasmus+ mobility at KU Leuven. The traineeship was only possible for four months, which meant I still needed to find spots for my other rotations if I hoped to do them abroad. 

Luckily, I could secure a spot at Mater Dei Hospital in Malta for my Paediatrics rotation in the summer, just weeks before the rotational year started. I also managed to find a hospital in London to complete my final internship, Neurology, in February 2022.

Erasmus students of KU Leuven on trip organized by ESN Leuven to the Christmas markets in Düsseldorf, Germany.

Comments

Popular Posts