Dean's Competition - a success!

My thesis is done!!!

The title of my thesis is the prevalence of depression in international medical students in Hungary. Mental health is a topic I am very passionate about and something I started researching some years ago.

To become a student researcher, you have to do some research of your own. In 2018, I decided I was ready to start doing research. Since I have a Bachelors in Health Science and Public Health, I figured something along those lines would be most interesting for me. I looked online for the list of research topics at the Department of Public Health Medicine at my medical school and found several interesting topics. I reached out to the head of the Department looking to get involved in the research topics that sparked my curiosity. Sadly, when we met, he informed me that none of the topics I was interested in were being researched in English. He asked if I would consider the topic, mental health in medical students. By coincidence, his next appointment was a meeting with the supervisor of this topic. She was early for her meeting and able to join us for some minutes to tell me more about her research and offered that I could get involved right away if I wanted. I jumped at the opportunity.

At the time, her research focused on Hungarian and German program students. After learning more about the project, we agreed for me to create a similar study with the English program students as the focus. I began by looking up past research of international medical schools worldwide, but it is a unique population and finding similar studies proved challenging. After collecting all the sources I could, I prepared a plan for my own research. Soon, I applied for permission from the University's Research Ethics Committee to conduct my study.  

After being a student researcher for one semester, I was eligible to become a member of the Student Research Society (Tudományos Diákkör (TDK) in Hungarian). Being a TDK member meant I could receive credits for my research, participate in Salon's to practice my presentation skills, participate in research conferences, and apply for certain scholarships. 

The approval from the University's Research Ethics Committee took some time. Finally, one year later, in 2019, my study began with its first data collection. In 2020, I collected my second round of data. Unfortunately, because of the COVID-19 pandemic, my third data collection had to be suspended. My original study design had to be modified because there was no way to account for the effect of this epidemiological situation on the mental health of medical students. After discussing with my supervisor, we decided I would just compare the data I had up till that point.

In November 2020, I built up the courage to present my findings at a TDK Salon. Based on their feedback, I made the necessary adjustments to my presentation and decided I was ready to participate in the TDK Conference 2021. In February of this year, the conference took place, and I came in 2nd place in the Health Sciences section. After placing, I was invited to represent the University of Pécs Medical School at the National Conference of Student Research Societies in Hungary (Országos Tudományos Diákkör Konferencián (OTDK) in Hungarian). In April 2021, I presented at the OTDK in the Medical & Health Sciences section, but unfortunately, I did not place. But that was okay, just having the opportunity to compete with other students studying in Hungary meant so much.

Eventually, I decided that my research would be my thesis topic. The next thing I had to do was start writing my paper. My goal was to write throughout the summer and have a final draft by September 30th for the Professor to look over, but life happened. Sunny, summer days spent enjoying the beaches in Malta and long hours at the hospital in September made it challenging to get any work done at night. I struggled to meet my personal deadline, but somehow, I managed to pull it all together in time for the deadline of the Dean’s Competition for Student Researcher Society Essays on October 15th

For some context, the Dean’s Competition for Student Researcher Society Essays takes place annually and provides members of the TDK a chance to write about the work they have been doing. A University rule is that an award-winning essay can be accepted as a thesis, if the student has also presented their work at a Student Researcher Society’s Conference and placed. The student does not have to defend their thesis, it is automatically graded excellent. 

The hardcopy of my Dean's Essay moments before submission.

I submitted my essay to the competition and awaited the results. Today, after nearly 2 months of waiting, the results were finally announced in an online awards ceremony. I am proud to say that I have come in 3rd place in the Epidemiology, Diagnostics & Prevention category.

Go me! All that's left for me to do is submit this essay to the head of the Department of Public Health Medicine as my thesis and I am one step closer to completing all my requirements for graduation.

Tonight, we're celebrating!!!


Comments

Popular Posts